Tuesday, April 7, 2009

To nap or not to nap...that is the question....the answer my friend is NAP!

Hello everyone....I know that I am a day late posting this week and I am going to tell you why that is....because I had a nap! Yes that is right....a NAP.....a wonderful, glorious, refreshing NAP! Do you know how long it has been since I had a nap? I would say years.....and I forgot how much I absolutely love naps.....As most of you parents can relate, it is very difficult to get a nap in when you have kids....it is just not something that you can easily do as a parent. So yesterday when they left for school, I had my breakfast and came in to the computer to check email and write my blog....(I sit on my bed to write, there is a table beside the bed that is our "computer table". So while I was checking my emails, I noticed that the bed was still warm and soft and I thought "I am just going to stretch out here for a minute"....well that lead to "I am going to pull up the covers and snuggle with Tigger for a minute (he is ALWAYS sleeping in our bed these days!) Then, as I lay there all snuggly and warm, I started thinking "what if I took a nap?" "what would that be like?" This of course was being challenged by that responsible side of me, which was saying "you don't have time for a nap, there is housework to be done, your blog to write, you have things to do"......as I was arguing with myself, I drifted off to la la land and voila.....I had a nap! 3 hours later (yes 3....maybe that is a sleep, not a nap?) I woke up feeling fantastic, refreshed and wonderful (and just a tad naughty for shirking my duties) It was noon and Christian would be home soon and I was in my pj's, hadn't really gotten up, house was a mess, beds unmade.....so up I got and started in on the days work. So my message to all of you out there who haven't treated yourself to a nap for a while.....go ahead...do it.....it is wonderful and you will thank yourself for it. It is funny you know, how we mothers especially feel that we have to be always "doing" something "worthwhile". I have noticed this in my friends, family members and myself....we don't allow ourselves some of these luxuries (napping, relaxing) very often. I am not sure why, but I am going to do some thinking about it in the coming weeks and I might experiment with that napping thing a few more times just to get myself comfortable with the concept! LOL...
So we had a pretty good weekend. Friday night I attended a parents' workshop on the psychological needs of children put on by a psychologist from St Maarten. She was excellent and I quite enjoyed the presentation. Although it wasn't really new info to me, it was a good reminder of all the things that we forget sometimes when we are parenting. Then on Saturday, the SOS (significant others of saba) teamed up with another students association to have a big easter egg hunt at the park for the island children and it was a huge success! Hundreds of people showed up, the kids went on an egg hunt (we hid 500 eggs) then there was games and face painting and food, food, food.....it was a great time. On sunday we had potbless (potluck) at church and so again a wonderful time with food and friends.....we also took the kids swimming at the pool as the weather is getting hotter here....you can feel the season changing and the sun getting stronger...noon to 3 or so is quite warm, you wouldn't want to be too active out in it, unless of course you are swimming. So all in all a pretty good weekend.
The boys are very excited as tomorrow is the last day of school and then they are on their Easter Break which is 10 days (Saba version of March Break) They are so excited that they can hardly stand it...they haven't had much down time here so they are looking forward to sleeping in, lounging around, going swimming, playing etc...I am not entirely sure how I will keep them entertained for those days but I will have to try to figure out something! And then of course, Easter is coming this weekend...I still haven't quite figured out how I am going to pull that one off! There isn't tons of shopping around here so I am trying to find some Easter treats! This weekend, our church is putting on an Easter Cafe, so Joe and I will be busy with that on Friday afternoon....we had coffee brought down from the US (Starbucks) and we will be having a bunch of baked goods for students......there will be video clips that discuss Easter and its significance to us as Christians, live music and fellowship....we are hoping to feed about 200! So we are looking forward to this event.
Joe is studying, studying, studying.....his finals are coming up and he is somewhat stressed about it.....I can't believe that the semester is over already....it is crazy how quick it has gone. The amount of information that he has to know is unbelievable...I would have thrown the towel in after the first week....but Joe just keeps on going, studying, absorbing as much as he can. So he will have a 3 week break coming up...unfortunately it is after the kids break is over (poor timing....you would think the med school and school could work together??) We are planning to go over to st Maarten for 3-4 days to hang out and spend some time together so the kids will have to miss a few days of school. We are going to hang out at the beach (because remember Saba doesnt have a beach) and try some water sports, go to the butterfly farm, zoo and some shopping for supplies at Cost-u-less.....we are excited to go.
As for me, I am so glad that I am not working, I really need this time to just decompress from the business of life. Also there is much to do to keep the house running and I was finding myself way too busy. And Monty is still having some challenges so I find it is a good thing that I am home to help him. I am sure that before long I will have to work at something, but for the month of Aprill I have promised myself a reprieve (sort of my deferred salary without the salary! ha ha) We will see from there what I may or may not do. There are opportunities in the restaurants here to waitress and there may be social work opportunities on the horizon. I haven't decided what I will be doing, but I do know that it will be part time (maybe 3 mornings a week?) I really want to take this time to be here for Joe and the kids....medical school is tough and Joe needs me more than ever to be taking care of things on the home front...some of the other spouses are finding the same thing, that being a support system to a med student is a full time job.....so that is my job for right now and in between naps I will be taking it very seriously! Tee hee......
Anyway, take care all of you and have a blessed week.....
Signing off for now,
Dawn

No comments: