Monday, February 16, 2009

a cold in the Caribbean? How absurd!

Hey friends!
How has your week been? I am going to start off by saying that I know there are many of you reading this blog and I would like to ask you a favor.....if you wouldn't mind, after you have read the blog, just going to the comment section and letting me know and even saying hello if you wish! I would like to keep this blog as a bit of a rememberance when our time here is done and it would be nice to know who has been reading/following along and your thoughts! Thanks!

We had a great week. Joe's parents came to visit from Calgary for 4 days and we had a wonderful time with them....it flew by and we were sad to see them go :( But alas, all good things must come to an end.....we had many adventures with them while they were here and they absolutely loved Saba...they both thought that it was a very neat place and that we were so lucky to be living here (which of course we agree) We went snorkeling down at the harbor and Grampy and Joe taught Monty how to snorkel, which he had down pat in about 30 seconds....he is now a snorkeling guru! Leave it to Monty...he is always so good at athletics! We went to the tide pools, which was fun and more snorkeling there. The we went on a snorkeling adventure with Sea Saba in about 25 feet of water.....and no one was eaten by a shark! Even I went snorkeling, can you believe it? It was quite the experience, somewhere between the most fascinating crossed with the most terrifying experience of my life! Breathing underwater is quite an activity...your body is screaming "no don't do it, don't take a breath!" but your brain is saying "go ahead, you have a snorkel, you will be fine" So under I would go and I would start to breathe and then I would start to hyperventilate because of course my body was overruling my brain...so up I would come and get my breathing regulated again and then back down to start the process all over again....I would say after about 20 minutes or so, I finally had it.....and wow, once I relaxed long enough to take a look around, I must say it was spectacular....I encountered many beautiful fish and coral.....it was really neat....of course I continued to glance all around for creatures that may be lurking in the dark (sharks, moray eels) but if they were there, they didn't present themselves to me.....Monty was off like a pro with his Dad and Grandpa and they were way far away from me, having a blast....and Monty was having no part of wearing a life jacket....I on the other hand, opted for the life jacket.....it was a bit cumbersome by times, and so , maybe I looked a tad silly, BUT I stayed afloat...and that my dear friends was the goal! Christian got out in the water with his life jacket on as well and he did stick his head under a few times but I think he was a little more like his mother in aptitude....so he just enjoyed swimming around.....we saw 2 turtles from the boat and Joe and his Dad got to swim right over them, they thought that is was cool! We ended our visit with family with an absolutely, to die for, amazing dinner at the Gatehouse, a wonderful, quaint, restaurant with divine cooking.....It was very sad to see them go and it reminded us a little of how far away from home we really are and that we do miss people......my mom and my aunt are coming in 3 more weeks so we are looking ahead to our next guests......
Other than that, things are getting somewhat routine....we hang out in the sun, get some tan, frolic and play in summer, enjoy the heat....oops am I bragging? We feel so blessed to have this summer weather and we are NOT missing winter one little bit.....everyone should live in this climate! Joe is still doing fine in med school...I think he wishes that he could have a little more down time, but overall he is enjoying it and learning tons......the boys are both doing better with their school adjustment....and I am just going along, working when I must and trying to get some relax and sunshine when I can.....
A few other goings-on:
Joe and I are involved with the music at the church so we led worship this week....it was awesome! Joe played guitar of course, I sang, our friend Sam played keys and sang (he is awesome) and Jeff played the jembe drum.....very fun, our church group is a lovely cozy group from all over....we are enjoying getting to know them.
Oh, I have a cold!!!! Can you believe it? A cold in the caribbean! I keep saying a cold is a Canadian winter illness, but apparently a cold knows no boundaries! I am working hard at trying to get rid of it (lots of flintstone vitamins!! ha ha....and chocolate) so I hope it is gone soon!
we are still feeding the baby goat everyday a few times...she is so sweet and growing so fast...when we come over she jumps in the air, gets all excited to see us.....she definitely has stolen our heart! Monty continues to catch several lizards a day......he had gotten very good at it and I keep reminding him that the first week we were here he couldn't catch any and now here he is a pro!
Anyway I better run....it is my monday off (I love Mondays off) and I should try to accomplish a few things today....take c are and don't forget to leave your message in the comment section! God Bless!

No comments: