Saturday, July 24, 2010

If I could save time in a bottle......the first thing that I'd like to do......

..........Time. How come when we want time to hurry up, it slows down, but if we want it to slow down it speeds up to what feels like a breakneck speed? Ever watch a pot boil? sooooo slow.....but when you want time to slow down so that you can enjoy something, savor every second, it absolutely refuses to do so......I've been singing that old song, if I could save time in a bottle, the first thing that I'd like to do......I won't bore you with all the words....lol......I am very aware of time right now and it appears to be the dominant theme or thought in my head. I have less than 4 weeks in my Caribbean home and I really can't believe it. "Wasn't it just yesterday that we packed up and moved here? Where did 20 months go? I can't believe it is almost time to leave.....I'm so not ready. this little island has absolutely stolen my heart and while many of the other med wives are happy to head home, this med wife is not so much. It's not that I don't love my home in PEI, and it''s not that I am not excited to see friends, family, people that i care about......its that I am going to miss this little island, this weather, the wonderful people that I have grown to love, my horses, my lifestyle, sooooo much. I have already played the final day over and over in my head, the getting on that airplane and flying off to the other side of the world, watching Nevis get smaller and smaller beneath me until she is out of sight......sigh.....this is going to be much harder than I ever anticipated.
I have been busy getting things organized for moving so my apologies for not being a very faithful blogger. We are trying to really minimize so instead of the say 25 bags we usually travel with, we only have 4 or 5 max. It is awful to travel with an abundance of luggage, so we really want to come home with as little as possible. We will be leaveing behind clothes, toys, anything that we can live without or easily replace. We are leaving the evening of august 19th and heading over to St maarten for a few days to meet up with some of our saba friends, and our friends, Ronnie and Brett, from nevis (from England originally) Then on the 22nd we leave the Caribbean and head home. By the afternoon of the 23rd, we will be back on PEI soil, the Caribbean behind us....well some of us anyway. Joe will return to Nevis for one last semester while we get settled back home. It's going to be hard to be apart from Joe for so long but I know we will get through it, hopefully the fall will fly by as it always does (see theres that time theme again....lol) with kids getting settled in school, hockey starting, halloween, christmas preparations.
So as part of my preparation for getting myself in the mindset of leaving I have been making a list of the things I wont miss.....LOL.....so here goes:
1, the mosquitos....well all the bugs actually including the big ugly centipedes, the tarantulas, the ugly yellowy pink spiders that love to come in on my towels, the scorpions and the gnats.
2. The lack of good variety in groceries.....oh sweet superstore, I am going to just spend a few hours standing in your produce section, smelling and staring in awe at the wide variety of fruits and vegetables. The selection down here is quite minimal. There is plenty but sometimes it is strange produce that I don't recognize.
3. Being sweaty and sticky all the time. I take cold showers to cool off (well and to smell pretty again) and by the time I dry off, I am sweating again. And drying your hair with a hair dryer?? thats crazy talk, your hair is soaked with sweat by the time you are done! kind of defeats the purpose.
4. No shopping. There is no walmart, no department store of any kind and really no place to buy clothes and shoes.
5. Opening a cake mix and finding weevils.
6. Leaving a crumb of food out and 1 billion ants show up to celebrate.
I'm trying really hard to make a bigger list of things I won't miss, you know, to balance out the things I will miss list......but it's not working.....LOL
How about the things I will miss:
1. The natural beauty of this island. Its stunning, if you haven't been here, you need to come.
2. The weather, eternal sunshine and warmth. I love it.
3. My friends who have become so dear to me.......my karaoke palsl!
4. the sunrise
5. The sunset
6. The clear sky at night perfect for star gazing.
7. Oualie Beach
8 my horses, oh how i will pine for these creatures.
9 my house and pool.
10 The simple life.
oops , no balance there at all, I better stop, i need to go figure out a few more t hings that I won't miss....lol....
ok its late, I need to get to bed! So friends, less than 4 weeks and I'll be heading home. It will be nice to see you all.
Take care and God Bless.

No comments: