Saturday, November 29, 2008

Saba, bathing suits and cortisol

So....a friend of mine advised me that I need to write in my blog more regularly so that people can remain updated.....and of course I know that you are all hanging on the edge of your seats waiting to read the next entry....ha ha.....so I will try to be a little more regular.....there is lots going on though, so writing doesn't seem to take priority.....BUT all that will change when I am relaxing in the sun in Saba because I won't be working full time and trying to move my family to another country....I will have oodles of time to keep you all updated on our adventure!
So I learned something very interesting this week....I went to a conference on the impact of family violence on children and it was excellent. One of the things that I learned was about how we have chemicals in our brain that have to be released at the right times and in the appropriate amounts to keep us happy and healthy....we were talking about cortisol which is a chemical that drizzles out in the morning to give you your happy injection for the day....and the cortisol peaks at about 10 am, so theoretically you should be your happiest and most stress free at that time of day....so why now is this relevant or remotely interesting? Well it applies to my life with bathing suit shopping.....of course moving to the Caribbean I have been advised that I definitely need more than the one bathing suit I currently own......but bathing suit shopping for me is rated right up there with trips to the dentist, immunizations and overdue bills....a nasty, stressful event that should be avoided if at all possible! So I was chatting at my table with a couple of colleagues (of course not during the presentation....definitely coffee break) and it dawned (ahem) on me that I should take advantage of this optimal level of cortisol and go shopping for a bathing suit some morning at 10 am!! That the issue isn't my body being slightly out of shape, it is that I am shopping at the wrong time of day, the evening, when my cortisol is kaput! Anyway, we had a great laugh and we all thought it was an excellent idea! Sooo....Mary Lou, if I disappear some morning around 10, I could be found in a dressing room somewhere in Charlottetown trying on bathing suits...with a SMILE....
So...I assume that you are now wondering about the Saba plans.....well 5 weeks from today we will be in our new house in a new country! I can't believe it.....we are in the packing boxes for shipping stage and I am having difficulties picking which shoes to bring....I was trying to limit myself to 3-4 pairs but it is proving to be a challenging task! Who knew I was such a shoe monger?? We are also weeding out and getting rid of stuff and this weekend we plan to start packing things that we don't need to put them into storage.....We also have been advised by the Christmas commitee members (Monty and Christian) that it will be December in 2 days and the tree MUST go up....so we will be packing and decorating all at once it would seem! Anyway it is getting late and I have to be up early in the morning to practice with the praise team for singing in church....oh and those of you reading out there please feel free to come to Cornerstone Baptist's Christmas Contata...December 13 @ 7PM at the East Wiltshire School gymnasium....it is a great opportunity to share in some music, celebrate Jesus....the reason for the season! and get into the Christmas spirit! Love to see you there.....Good Night and God Bless!

1 comment:

Binky said...

Good for you.

I really have a feeling that you'll end up working in some form more than you let on... Lots of beach time, though.

Get "tinny",
Binky